We don’t look for specific types of people, we look for the skills and experience which make people suitable to adopt a child. We also provide training and support to build on the abilities you already have so it’s more about your potential than where you are now. We recognise that it’s not just children who grow: parents do too!
That being said there are some basic criteria you need to meet to be able to apply to adopt children:
- You need to be at least 21 years of age
- You need to have enough space in your home to provide a child with their own bedroom
- If you have criminal convictions for violent offences or offences against children we will not be able to take your application forwards
- If you smoke you will need to be smoke free for at least 6 months before starting the process (this includes E cigarettes or vaping)
- We also ask that you have completed any fertility treatment 6 months before applying
We are proactively seeking families from a wide range of backgrounds who can build trusting relationships with our children and meet their needs throughout life. If you'd like to discuss your circumstances and what you can offer a child, please get in touch.